Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dear Miuccia.

I always look at the new collections before reading their reviews. I want to make sure I have as little bias as possible. So when I finished viewing all the looks the Prada Pre-Fall 2010 collection and read the skeptical review on Style.com, I was very shocked. The critic clearly didn't appreciate the camo print coats and sixties style minis. Everytime I looked back at the photos trying to find a crutique I was at a loss for words. I fell more and more in love with these outfits every time, and each time only thought of more perfect occasions to wear them to.This camo-print sort of peacoat/dress instantley reminded me of the book, soon to be movie: Dear John. That's why the post is called Dear Miuccia, because this "review" is really a love letter to a fashion greats latest collection! This look seems so simple, but it wasn't just the coat that made it. It was the shoes, the relaxed hair, natural makeup, and bare legs that brought it together. Every outfit in this collection I could see myself in, walking around the city streets (someday) to my fashion writing job at vogue (hopefully).
This coat reminded me of a fun blue Jackie O style suit by Marc Jacobs from a few seasons back. It was just juvenile enough to be fun, but it's not too bright of a hue of pink to be obnoxious. Also the red skirt and black top keep it grounded. It may be because I'm a tights fanatic but I think I've fallen for these minis because I could see myself wearing them with bright tights and boots. (h=Haven't you always wanted an excuse to wear hot pink tights after your fifth birthday?...this collection may be it!)
This coat was by far my favorite piece from the collection. With the deep red lining and plaid outside it looked straight out of That 70's Show..but from Jackie (Mila Kunis) not Donna..no worries! The bulkiness of the coat needs to be balanced delicatley. Leaving your legs bare doesn't make you look to bright overall, and just a simple black skirt is really all you need! Bring back the color, with a pop of sunshine on your feet!
I've never considered owning a khaki coat that wasn't a Burberry Trench before this collection. Don't ask me how Miuccia makes it as magnificant as she does, but everything seems to work with this look. It isn't a khaki overload, if you're woried about recreating this look; it seems like all the same color is okay as long as you have differnt textures. If it's cold I would add tights to this ensemble in a second and maybe even some over the knee flat Gucci boots.
As much as I enjoyed this look..the model seemed a little out of place with the rest of the show. (I guess that's my one crutique.) What makes this look? Many things, ofcourse the bold oversized sweater, (could be worn so many ways; skinny jeans + any geeky shoe -or- Ann Demeulemeester lace up boots + loose skirt + big belt -etc!) the pattern of the skirt, (reminded me of pillows I may have seen in the Brady Bunch!) or the shoes! I'm so utterly overwhelmed!
This coat was so great, it was like a chic Burberry coat X10! From the material to the model I was in love. I've already saved the picture to my computer and plan on finding this coat in a few years. Isn't it so working girl adorable? With a big Hermes bag or oversized satchel and those shoes..I'm sure I would be 100% more motivated to work, ha.



LISTENING TO: Long Nights, Eddie Vedder (Into the Wild Soundtrack)


Photos from: Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment